Present for the future
They are playing tennis now.
She is playing tennis tomorrow.
We also use am/ is/ are -ing for the future (tomorrow / next week etc.):
- Carol is playing tennis tomorrow.
- I` m not working next week.
I am doing something tomorrow = I have arranged to do something, I have a plan to do something:
- Alice is going to the dentist on Friday.
You can also say "I` m going to do something"
Do not use the Present Simple ( I go/ do you go? etc.) for arrangements:
- I` m going out this evening. ( not I go)
- Are you going out tonight? ( not do you go)
- Ann isn`t coming to the party next week. ( not Ann doesn`t come)
But we use the Present Simple for timetables, programmes, trains etc.:
- The concert starts at 7.30.
- What time does the train leave?
Study the difference:
- I` m going to a concert this evening.