Would you like ...?
Would you like ... ? = Do you want ... ?
We use Would you like to ... ? to invite someone:
- Would you like to come to a party?
- " Would you like to have dinner with me on Sunday?" "Yes, I`d love to. (= I would love to have dinner with you.)"
- Where would you like to go this evening?
I`d like (I would like) is a polite way of saying "I want":
- ( in a restaurant) I`d like fish, please.
- I`m thirsty. I`d like a drink.
- I`d like to see the film on television this evening.
Study the difference:
- "Would you like to go to the cinema tonight?" ( tonight)" "Yes, I`d love to go."
but " Do you like going to the cinema?" ( in general) "Yes, I go to the cinema a lot."
- I`d like an orange. (= I want an orange now.)
but I like oranges. ( in general)