Put the verbs in the brackets into the past perfect or past simple. Choose the correct answer.
1) I was very exhausted after finishing my work, so I (go) ____ straight to bed.
2) Yesterday afternoon I went downtown and I (meet) ____ Peter.
3) Everybody (leave) ____ the house by the time I came home.
4) I lost my key a few days ago and then I suddenly (find) ____ it in my pocket.
5) The doctor examined her leg and (find) ____ that she had broken it.
6) I was frightened because the police (come) ____ for my sister.
7) I couldn't get in because I (lose) ____ my keys.
8) I was hungry because I (not eat) ____ since breakfast.