Put the verbs in the brackets into the past perfect or past simple. Choose the correct answer.
1) I enjoyed my cousin's wedding, but I (go) ____ home soon.
2) The exercises were very difficult, nobody (know) ____ what to do with them.
3) I ( finish) ____ my lesson and I was very happy at that moment.
4) These shoes were very clean because our housemaid (clean) ____ them.
5) He started to read the newspaper he (buy) ____ an hour earlier.
6) She left the house after she (finish) ____ breakfast.
7) He told me he (never be) ____ to Australia before.
8) I (write) ____ a long letter to my mother yesterday.