What ... ? Which ... ? How ... ?
- What ... ?
What + noun ( What colour ... ? / What kind ... ? etc.):
- What colour is your car? What colour are your eyes?
- What size is this shirt? What kind of job do you want?
- What make is your TV set? What time is it?
What without a noun:
- What`s your favourite colour?
- What do you want to do this evening?
Who saw you ...? Who did you see?
( вопросительные предложения (2))
- Which ... ?
Which + noun (things or people):
- Which train did you catch - the 9.50 or the 10.30?
- Which doctor did you see - Doctor Ellis, Doctor Gray or Doctor Hill?
Which without a noun (not people):
- Which is bigger - Canada or Australia?
but Who is taller - Bill or Jerry? ( Who for people)
- What ... ? and Which ... ?
We say Which when we are thinking about a small number (perhaps two, three or four things):
- We can go this way or that way.
Use What in other situations:
- What is the capital of Italy?
- What sort of music do you like? ( not ‘Which sort ... ?’)
- What colour are your eyes? ( not ‘Which colour ... ?’)
but Which colour do you prefer, pink or yellow?
- How ... ?
- ‘ How was the party last night?’ ‘It was great!’
- ‘ How do you usually go to work?’ ‘By bus.’
How + adjective/adverb ( how old / how big / how fast etc.):
- How old is your father? How tall are you? How big is the house?
- How far is it to the shops from here?
- How often do you go on holiday?