Put the verbs in the brackets into the past perfect or past simple. Choose the correct answer.
1) I went to see my friend, but she (be) ____ on holiday.
2) Yesterday afternoon I went downtown and I (meet) ____ Peter.
3) I bought a new car because some thieves (steal) ____ my old one.
4) By the time the film started, many cinema-goers (arrive) ____.
5) I paid for the window because my son (break) ____ it.
6) She left the house after she (finish) ____ breakfast.
7) I felt really stupid because I (make) ____ a lot of mistakes.
8) I told him I didn't know who (steal) ____ his pen.